Tuesday, July 29, 2008

a "typical" week

I realize I haven't given you all a very clear picture of what life here is like, so I will try to quickly give you an idea of a "typical" week here.

Sunday: Church usually lasts about 3 hours. I have recently been going to a church in a rural area called Timbutini, and I love it. It is simply beautiful. The people have very little and they are all so sincere. People are given a chance to share what God is teaching them, and they are allowed to randomly burst into song when they feel led. I sit on the concrete floor against the wall in the one-room building. I usually have a Swazi child in my lap and a GoGo(grandmother)by my side. Sunday afternoons are usually relaxed, and I do laundry or journal.

Monday: Mondays are off days. The first few here I rested in the morning and went to a carepoint in the afternoon, but I have been going to ministry sites with the team that has been staying at the team house on those days recently. I go to hospitals, homes for the severely ill, care points, or just walk around town making friends. I only have one Monday left, and I hope to go back to many of those places to tell people goodbye. The team has left now, but I would feel comfortable going alone now. Monday nights I have been "leading" a discipleship group of 8 girls from the team. Since they are gone now, that is over.

Tuesday: Tuesdays afternoons are office days for Cherish, but I really don't need to do office work, so I have been going with the team and doing ministry like on Mondays.

Wednesday: Wednesday morning are spent in the office. We have a prayer/devotion time together. Wednesday afternoons the Cherish team divides up and goes to two seperate schools. Phumlile and Hlonphile go to John Wesley High in Mbabane, and Zabiba and I (and the last few weeks a girl or two from the team have been joining us) go to Ngwane Central High in Nhlangano. This school is filled with very shy girls. There are about 40 girls here. The drive is around 1 1/2 hours. Also on Wednesdays we stop by the house of a precious woman named Make Zwane and drop off boxes of food for her to take to a village of starving people. We generally get home around 5:30 or 6, and Wednesday nights were the other discipleship group time.

Thursday: Office/prayer/devotion time in the morning and then Mlumati High on the SA border. It is around an hour or more away, and there are probably around 50-60 girls there on average. I get home around 6.

Friday: Office/prayer/devotion time in the morning, and then we go to Siteki Nazarene High near the Mozambique border. We don't leave until 2, and we don't get home until around 7. This school is my favorite. There are around 80 girls doing Cherish there. Friday nights vary a lot. I stay home, or go to friend's houses, or have people over.

Saturday: Recently I have been spending Saturdays with the team doing fun stuff in different places around Swazi, like Mantenga Falls. This upcoming Saturday will be my last in Swazi, and I am planning to go back to Dolly's school on the rock.

I hope this gives you a clearer picture of what I am doing here in Swaziland. It is hard to believe I will be home in 2 weeks.

Oh, and while I am blogging... yesterday I went alone to a game reserve to just enjoy God's creation. It was amazing! Here is me with 5 sleeping hippos:

No comments: